There are so many ways to get on board with National Preparedness Month tips and tricks. Let’s dive in!
Hurricane and Storm Season
As the fall and winter seasons approach, it’s good to reassess your property for potential elements that could cause damage like water, trees, and more.
- To reduce significant water damage, ensure windows, doors, and vents are properly secured and insulated. Clear debris from exterior drains and gutters, ensuring they’re doing their job properly. If your property has a sump pump, ensure it’s in proper working condition, including if there is a battery backup.
- Monitor trees and large plants close to the home, within 10 feet or so. Take a look for cracking or splitting, and remove any dead limbs from the weakened trees. Call a local landscaper or tree removal company to assist with this. It could save you plenty in the end; we think this is a sound investment.
- Brace any doors, roofs, windows, and skylights by using bolt kits or asking a local carpenter to assess the structures. Securing outdoor items is also important when considering the wind levels that might affect your area including patio furniture, un-bolted storage boxes, planters, and more.
Homeowner Protection Tips
Burglaries are common, and yet no one thinks it will happen to them.
- Be mindful of the landscaping and visibility in front of your property; are there any obscure areas, easy for thieves to hide? This includes lighting and motion sensors as well, a great predictor for which homes may or may not be targeted.
- Follow your local police and fire departments on social media; these organizations are vested in keeping communities safe and will usually put out helpful tips and warnings when there is danger in the area.
- Know your neighbors! This is an “old fashioned” trick that never goes out of style; you never know when they can look out for your property and you can help them too, especially when away from home at work or on vacation.
- Protect outdoor valuables from weather and/or potential burglaries by keeping them locked up or in indoor structures like sheds or garages.
Taking Action Ahead of Time is Smart
Do you have your insurance person on speed dial? We want to bring attention to all of the areas of experience Curtis and the team at J.M. Whitney and Co. bring to the table. For over 70+ years, this family-run business has been well-versed and experienced in Massachusetts-specific insurance, real estate, and commercial real estate acquisitions, management, and insurance. We look forward to becoming your trusted resource. Share our page with friends and loved ones.
- For any insurance or real estate and commercial management, brokerage, or questions, reach out.
- Featured properties updated regularly: View Our MLS Listings
J. M. Whitney Insurance is an independent insurance agency located in Watertown, Massachusetts. Give us a call, stop by, or request a quote online to find out how much we can save you on your insurance.
If you liked this blog, stay tuned for more from J.M. Whitney Insurance.
Visit our social media pages for additional information and tips!